Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Summer Camp - an experience that changes lives.

Did you go to summer camp? I did, and it was one of those childhood experiences that stayed with me and became a pleasant, misty memory of swimming in a lake, sleeping in bunk beds, hiking, campfires, canoes and lots of new friends.

When I had children of my own - they all went to summer camp as well. It amazed me as a parent to see the effect that camp had on my kids. Camp gives children that first critical taste of independence, of making decisions for themselves, trying new things without that ever present safety net of mom or dad. Sure, they'd probably been on sleep overs with friends - but there was always a parent there. This is new, fresh, dangerous and exciting. A great experience at camp can literally change a child's life. I've seen kids discover things about themselves that boosted their self confidence and made them more willing to try new things.

I was surprised to hear that there are kids who are missing out on this opportunity because their parents are too scared or uncomfortable to send them to camp. Don't be afraid to allow your kids to have amazing experiences!

Come talk to Nancy Kyme, author of Memory Lake the Forever Friendships of Summer and Morgan Tebeau, Director of the Sheridan Mountain Campus. They'll both be here at the store Saturday, March 24 from 1 to 3pm - you're kids will love you for it!

1 comment:

  1. Memory Lake is a beautifully written book that has appeal and value for all sorts of readers.

    ReplyDelete